October 15, 2013

Confessions of a First Time Mother

Conference weekend is incredible! I love being able to stay at home with my little family and listen to a prophets voice and advice apostles give us. It is so wonderful to know that we have a living prophet and apostles just like bible times, but they are here to help us in our day! Heavenly Father has surely not left us alone in this life. I also love our little traditions of cinnamon rolls, crapes, and eating all kinds of delicious foods! It was so fun to have Carter with us this time, and he even watched some of the messages that were being given.

During conference I couldn't help but notice the repeated theme of family, the role of women, and the role of priesthood holders. Women are so caught up in making a career, being equals to men, that they have forgotten their divine destiny as women. My heart sank when Elder Oaks spoke about how many people in the United States live together before marriage, how many have children in wedlock, and just how much my little family is a minority. My husband and I met, dated, were married, lived together, and then had a sweet little spirit join our family in that order. We made our family the way we have always been taught, but the world teaches things a different way and for that reason we are the minority.

Now for my confession... I never really wanted to be a stay at home mother. Sure I wanted to have a husband, marry in the temple, and have children, but I always wanted to work. I have loved teaching with all of my heart, and never wanted to say goodbye. I was thrilled when after having Carter I already had a job partner so I could work part time. I loved my amazing team, and loved the school that I would be teaching at. All of those dreams came crashing down when Jason was moved to Nevada for work. I won't lie and say I was completely supportive and happy about the whole situation, knowing that God had a plan for our little family. I was the exact opposite, and I'm pretty sure I even gave Jason the ultimatum of his job or his family. Looking back at it now, I could never really leave the man I love simply because I didn't get my way. Honestly I think that Heavenly Father was trying to teach me that I need to be home. Carter needs to grow up with a mother who will teach him what's right and the things that are important in this life. He needs me to always be there for him, and now the thought of going back to work even part time breaks my heart. I have fallen in love with my little boy, and am starting to understand the reasons why I need to be at home with him. So many children grow up with broken families, families that don't have the stability and blessings that our little family has been blessed with. I should be and am thankful that I even have the option to stay home with this sweet little boy. With every giggle, every smile, every silly little noise and first mile stone, I am reminded of the reason I am here on earth. To have a family and raise my children in righteousness. Yes I may get pooped and peed on, I may have frustrations taken out on me, I may crave adult conversation and have to wait until the end of the day, I might feel overwhelmed with choices I have to make for my children, and my body may be far from what it used to be, but it is completely and totally worth it! I am in the minority because I have been blessed that way and understand that the children I will have here on earth have the right to grow and be raised in a family the way it was meant to be.

Children bring the greatest happiness that we could possibly have in this life. I know because I have felt it and feel it everyday. I hope that someday my little family won't be considered in the minority, and children will become a priority again. Not only children, but the importance of family the way it was meant to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment