July 3, 2014

Radiation: week 1

I am happy to report that I have been through 1 week of radiation officially today!! 4 treatments down and only 21 more to go! Isn't life wonderful?!

So... how are things going? Well, let's just say I have grown a great appreciation for the wonderful things I did have in my life and will hopefully get back. Here are a couple I think are pretty amazing right now :)

1. Sleep

After having a baby, I was told I would never sleep again. Carter was a wonderful newborn and gave me 5 hour stretches of sleep at night. Then, at 6 weeks he was already sleeping through the night. It made me smile to think that this was sleep deprivation lol. Especially because I was always so happy to get up with him in the middle of the night, simply because I missed him.

After having the flu and starting to get all of the symptoms of my brain tumors, sleep wasn't as easy as it once was. I would have to get up at least 7 times during the night to go to the bathroom and drain my body of the 3 gallons of water I was drinking during the day. I must say I was rather annoyed. I had to get up for something I wasn't even excited for!

After brain surgery, I was given meds to help me with the bathroom thing and thought, YES! I will finally be able to sleep again! Yeah... I guess only lucky people are like that. 2:00 in the morning rolls around and I'm wide awake. After a couple of days of that though, at least one night every so often comes around where I sleep past 2.
My sweet little sleeper <3


2. Hair

My thick hair and I always had a love hate relationship. Some days I loved that it was thick and loved they way it looked when I put it up. Other days I would feel like pulling it all out because there was just too much and it was just too CRAZY! Well, I have come to miss my thick hair these past couple of weeks. Everyday it seems like I lose half my head of hair. I think I've brushed all that will come out that day until after treatments another couple of handful of hair decided they need liberation from my scalp. Even if your hair is not cooperating with you for that important meeting, hot date, or just to head out in public, always be thankful that you have hair to struggle with. Even though you might think being bald would be nice, it's really scary when you start to lose it all.
My thin short hair driving home from my last treatment of the week!
*** I should add vision to this list lol. I've never had to wear my glasses all the time, but now I can't see a thing with out them. A tumor is pressing on my optic nerve, so hopefully it will get better once the tumor is gone!

3. Having Jason home EVERY day!

This is going to be a hard one to let go of once my treatments are done. It is so nice to have him with Carter and I, and just to see him and hug and kiss him whenever I want! I love that he isn't away from us 14 hours a day, and even though our little family is going through a hard time right now... it is so awesome to be able to face things together! It makes me happy to think that Carter gets a little more time with his daddy each day :)

So far on this crazy adventure, we've been able to go to the park together, and we even spent some time at the zoo. Isn't it amazing that even if your life seems to be falling apart, there are still so many more things to be thankful for. We truly have a loving Heavenly Father looking out for us :)

Happy Independence Day tomorrow! Another thing to be thankful for, that we live in the USA!!!!


Carter with his daddy at the Zoo. He loved the zebras :)

He also loved touching the rocks!

A lion was laying by the window. Carter ate it up!

Carter flipped when he saw this giant elephant

Silly boy watching the monkeys :)

He always finds the perfect place for him to sit. Ledges and steps are his favorite!


Our cute little family playing ball at the park 

1 comment:

  1. Clarissa, you are amazing! I've been lurking through your blog and draw a great amount of strength from you and your story. I'm so impressed that you've chosen to tell it and really open yourself up. Whether you know it or not, your attitude and faith stretches to those around you. I'll pray for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete